(Bloomberg) – Israel halted all humanitarian aid and other imports into the war-smashed Gaza Strip as an six-week ceasefire with Hamas in a six-week ceasefire that was balked at the US bridge proposal in a six-week ceasefire on Sunday.
The aid cutoff has been coordinated with the US, Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar told reporters.
“If Hamas continues to do so, there will be more consequences,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office warned earlier in a statement. Hamas called Israel’s moves “blackmail, war crimes, complete violations of the agreement.”
Disagreements about Hamas’ long-term fate had hampered the progress towards so-called phase 2, which involved Israel’s complete military withdrawal from Gaza and the recovery of hostages there.
Israel said it was willing to take part in a new ceasefire spanning the Holy Moon of Muslims and Passover Jewish festivals in Ramadan, under the 11-hour proposal brought by White House envoy Steve Witkov. Israel said about half of the 59 hostages were returned at once, with the rest being based on a deferred agreement on the free halt of hostilities.
The negotiations are mediated by Qatar and Egypt, and speak to Witkov, a billionaire real estate investor appointed as envoys to the Special Middle East by President Donald Trump, and Arab forces allied with the United States.
Hamas, a Muslim group blacklisted for terrorism in most of the West, said it would “not retreat” from the demands of the current demands.
“The only path to regional stability and prisoner reinstatement is the full implementation of the agreement that begins with the second stage, including permanent ceasefire, complete withdrawal, reconstruction and the release of prisoners under mutually agreed contracts.” “This is our solid stance.”
Israel hopes that with US support, Phase 2 will spell Hamas rules and the end of Arsenal. Hamas shows a willingness to give up governance rather than rockets or rifles.
Importing humanitarian aid, essential to the poor Palestinian masses of Gaza, was stepping up during the armistice.
Foreign Minister Saa said Hamas had transformed the “huge” imports that had entered Gaza into financial resources. “We are ready to negotiate the second phase according to principles. The question is, what will we do in the meantime? Are we going to offer a ceasefire for free?” he added.
Commentators on Israeli Army Radio suggested that the Palestinians have stockpiled enough fuel and food to survive and fight for now.
Ramadan begins this weekend and closes on March 30th. Passover is from April 12th to April 20th. Under Witkov’s proposal, Israel “has the US guarantee right to resume the attack on Gaza in 42 days if it feels like negotiations are ineffective,” Netanya’s office said in a statement.
Israel has been defending its troops by standing by and around Gaza for all kinds of battle.
Separately, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday that he had signed a declaration to promote the delivery of about $4 billion in military aid to Israel.
It is believed that around 20 remaining hostages in Gaza are alive. In exchange for the release of hundreds of imprisoned Palestinian extremists and detainees, previous deals have collected many scores.
On October 7, 2023, thousands of Hamas operatives traveled to Israel, killing 1,200 people and acquiring 250 people. In the subsequent war with Israel, more than 48,000 Palestinians were killed, according to Hamasran Health Ministry. The vast stretch of the territory has been reduced to tiled rubs.